Yesterday, we reported that one horse that had attended the LA February horse show had to be put down on Tuesday night after exhibiting symptoms potentially related to EHV-1.
We have received the test results from the CDFA lab, and the test was positive for EHV-1. Our deepest condolences go out to the owner, trainer, and rider.
We urge you to remain vigilant and stay closely connected to the CDFA Website for the most up-to-date information and updates.
Basic biosecurity measures to follow to decrease potential disease spread at equine events include:
- Limit horse-to-horse contact
- Limit horse-to-human-to-horse contact
- Avoid use of communal water sources
- Avoid sharing of equipment unless thoroughly cleaned and disinfected between uses
- Monitor your horse for clinical signs of disease and report any temperature over 102°F to a veterinarian